I think this umbrella card is perfect for this time of the year! I made this one as a New Baby card. This is relatively simple to make. The tools I used with this card include: a circle cutter, the Cricut (using the Storybook cartridge), Cuttlebug dies and embossing folders, paper trimmer with scoring blade, scallop scissors, and scalloped circle nestabilities. Also used on this card: Bazzill and SU CS, Stampendous and Paper Trey stamps, Swiss Dots embossing folder, prismacolor pencils and gamsol, Lasting Impressions buttons, ribbon, cording, vellum and SU inks.
1. To begin, cut out a circle of any size. This one is appx 8 inches. I used my Making Memories circle cutter.
2. Next score your circle. On the cutting mat shown, I lined the edge of the mat with the circle and found the center. Once you find the center, I usually make a small crease with my finger nail on both the top and the bottom and then score. Next place the circle back on the mat with the scored line laying horizontally, matching the score to the lines on the mat. Find the center again and score again, making the new score line perpendicular to the first line. The next score line is centered between the first two score lines as shown. This last score line is a valley fold. The first two are mountain folds. Bring the two sides of the valley fold in toward the center and your card should look like this:
3. To make the handle I used my Cricut and the Storybook cartridge. I cut out the 'J' in the alpha to make my umbrella handle. If you don't have a die cutting machine, making on by freehand is just as good!
4. This picture here shows the underneath side of the front of the card. To make the ruffle I used vellum. I cut a quarter piece of the vellum (from a full 8.5 x 11) and ran it through my Cuttlebug with the Swiss dots embossing folder. Then I matched corner of the paper to the backside (this piece of the umbrella should be perpendicular). Holding the paper in place, I used the scalloped scissors to create the ruffle-type edge. Then I added the umbrella handle.
5. The opposite side of the circle was stamped with this sentiment:
6. Decorate the front of the card and you are done! *** If you would like to share this tutorial please be kind and provide a link back to this page! ***